Do your parent(s) or loved ones suffer from one or more of the following?
If so mobility equipment may be for you…
THE EARLY SIGNS OF MOBILITY DECLINE
Here’s what to look for to make sure your loved ones stay safe:
- Is there a change in the way they walk?
- Are they reaching out for the furniture or your arm?
- Is their gait unsteady?
- Are they shuffling or frequently side stepping to regain their balance?
- Are there cuts, bruises, or other signs of trauma?
- Seniors may try and hide their falls from others. Falls can result in further fear of falling, self-limiting behaviors and social isolation.
- Do they take three or more prescription drugs, especially sleeping pills and tranquillizers?
- Medications can cause dizziness and poor co-ordination and can contribute to falling. Take the time to learn about various drug side effects.
- Do they grimace or show signs of discomfort?
- Stiff joints and poorly controlled pain make it difficult to move around. Reduced activity results in loss of strength.
For more info please see the online article:
Linton, Marilyn. “Spotting Mobility Issues Helps Parents Stay Safe.”
Toronto Sun 30 Novemeber 2009, English ed.: 31. Print.